On this page, you can find links to different studies that have been carried out on food waste.
1. “Food Waste – An analysis of the retail sector” – a research case carried out by Hokuma Karimova and Piotr Wielezynski (creators of this website) analyzing the state of food waste in the retail sector. Since the retail sectors in all developed countries are quite similar, this is a useful tool to understand the overall waste disposal process of the retail sector. The study reveals the main reasons for food waste and proposes a practical approach for minimizing it in the future.
9. “The Progressive Increase of Food Waste in America and Its Environmental Impact” – A short research that gives you the big picture of the whole food waste problem. It is not only about food but all the input that is used to produce it, i.e. labor, energy, land and natural resources such as water. To learn more about what really gets wasted when food is thrown out start reading here!
10. “New estimates for household food and drink waste in the UK” – A good source of data for the UK. We hope that soon every country will follow the lead of the UK and the USA and provide detailed data about their food waste statistics.
12. “Map the Meal Gap” – it is a great tool created by Feeding America to see state by state and even county by county statistics about the food insecure part of the population. To get even more information about this study you can read an Executive Summary, which clarifies the methodology and gives some more statistics.
13. “Eating in 2030: trends and perspectives” – it is a study that has been carried out for the 4th International Forum on Food and Nutrition. It gives you trends, a dietary scenario and tells you what are the biggest challenges as far as the food systems are concerned. Moreover, it includes a couple of great infographics and statistics.