Feeding the 5000 DC Local Event Coordinator Context on the Organization Feedback is an environmental organization that campaigns to end food waste at every level of the food system. We catalyze action on eliminating food waste globally, working with governments, international institutions, businesses, NGOs, grassroots organizations and the public to change society’s attitude toward wasting ood. Our campaigns have expanded since 2009 and are now under five banners: Feeding the 5000, Gleaning Network, The Pig Idea, Stop Dumping and the FSE Network. Feedback is the charity that governs these campaigns, as well as our wider work influencing public attitudes and government and business policies on food waste.
Feeding the 5000 is Feedback’s flagship campaigning event to shine a light on the global food waste scandal, champion the delicious solutions and catalyze the global movement against food waste. At each event, we serve up a delicious communal feast for 5000 people made entirely out of food that would otherwise have been wasted, bringing together a coalition of organizations that offer the solutions to food waste, raising the issue up the political agenda and inspiring new local initiatives against food waste. Since 2009 over 30 Feeding the 5000 events have been held worldwide; from Paris to Dublin, Manchester, Sydney, Amsterdam and Brussels.
This year we are focusing on the U.S and will be working to catalyse the food waste movement nationwide by collaborating with key stakeholders. This will be launched in Spring 2016, with two flagship Feeding the 5000 events in Washington DC and NYC (May 18th and 3rd), followed by a wider national mobilisation campaign.
This is a real opportunity to be part of a burgeoning food waste movement in 2016. We are looking for a local coordinator to help us create a delicious communal feast for 5000 people, bringing together a coalition of organizations that offer the solutions to food waste, raising the issue up the political agenda and inspiring new local initiatives against food waste.
This role will include:
-Volunteer management and coordination both on the day and in the run up to the event, including recruitment, training and communication, supported by the Feedback team
-Liaising with partner organisations in event curation including activities surrounding the event, both on the day and in the lead up, staying in close contact with the venue and events producer to arrive at a suitable set up plan for the event itself.
-Coordinating food sourcing. This includes researching viable sources of food and reaching out to potential donors. Additionally, logistical help in organising the food, its transport and safe storage.
-Outreach to local communities to ensure Feeding the 5000 DC is inclusive and represents the diversity of the DC area. This includes DC’s faith communities, students and artists etc.
-Support in general events coordination tasks in the run up to the event
The candidate’s personal specification:
• Speaks: English
• Has already worked in events (preferably for thousands of people)
• Has experience liaising with Local, National, and/or International organizations in the environmental, food, and/or agricultural sector
• Is creative, resourceful, and diplomatic
• Has people-skills and an ability to manage people (with persuasion skills to boot) • be able to operate on a freelance basis
• Available to work: 32-36 days in the run up to the event (exact dates to be decided mutually with the successful candidate) Likely to be full time for minimum the two weeks prior to the event – highly probably to be 18th May
• Freelance daily rate at $140-170 per day depending on experience
• Desire to work for a good cause – (preferably has worked on environmental and social justice issues previously)
• Has a clean driving licence