One of my favorite dishes used to be fried chicken. I would always make it with mashed potatoes, peas and gravy on the side. For some time now I have made a point to eat healthy. To stay heart healthy I have taken this old-time favorite and provided few twists making it both delicious and nutritious. You will be surprised by how crispy and tasty these chicken nuggets come out.
This is a quick meal to prep and have on the table. What will take time is the type of whole grain rice you choose. For this weeks meal I found a beautiful organic Marooned Rice, by Blue Moon Acres. Even if the rice takes an hour, the rest of this meal is so light and simple you will be able to relax in between. The Marooned rice has a unique sweet nutty flavor that goes very well with the chicken and honey mustard dipping sauce.
Happy eating friends!
Baked Fried Chicken & Sides
Coconut oil cooking spray
1 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Pecan pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon Paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1lb boneless, skinless Chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cup Whole Grain Rice, cook according to package
1 small package English Peas (or Sweet Peas)
3 tablespoons of butter softened
1/2 Lime juiced
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start the rice as per instructions on packaging.
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Thoroughly coat a wire rack with cooking spray and set on baking sheet.
- Combine breadcrumbs, pecans, paprika powder and salt in a food processor; process until the pecans are finely chopped and the paprika powder is mixed throughout, about minute. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat, then dredge in the pecan mixture, turning to coat evenly. Shake off excess. (Discard any remaining egg and pecan mixture.) Place the chicken on the prepared rack.
- Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, arrange the fresh peas in a vegetable steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam for 10 to 15 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Combine butter and lime juice in a medium-sized bowl. When the peas are done, remove them from the steamer and spread the butter over the peas. Let it melt evenly and stir adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients for the honey mustard sauce in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Serve as a dressing or a dip with the chicken, rice and peas.