I made this dish once for a client who wanted a twist on everyday roasted chicken and mashed potatoes. I’ve added a salad and rice to complete the meal. You will find all but the rice in the instructions. To not waste any part of the Kimchi I used the liquid as part of the dressing. It gives a delightful taste to both the salad and the chicken with the potatoes making a wonderful naturally low-fat meal.
Many of you know Kimchi as something sold at asian markets and health-food stores all over. I have even found it at my local grocery store. It is a low-fat and high fiber red, fermented cabbage dish (occasionally, with radish) made with a mix of salt, vinegar, garlic, chile peppers and other spices. What people do not realize are its many benefits. Because it is fermented, like yogurt, it contains “healthy bacteria” called lactobacilli that aids in digestion. Another by-product of the fermentation process are the probiotics which fight off various infections in your body.
Here are some other benefits you can gain from eating Kimchi. It lowers cholesterol levels, facilitates healthy body development and clear vision. Kimchi makes your outer appearance shine by producing radiant skin and shiny hair. A study done at the Chungnam National University discovered Chinese cabbage and radish are able to prevent stomach cancer as well. It slows down the aging process. There are more benefits but such boosting your immunity and loosing weight. If none of these reasons entice you know when mixed with other things it can make for a delicious meal.
Happy eating friends!
2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil, divided
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
4-5 Large skin-on, bone-in Chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1 16oz jar Napa Cabbage Kimchi, drained- reserve liquid
1 Tablespoon Rice vinegar (you can use a mild white vinegar)
4 Cups trimmed bitter greens (such as mustard, mizuna, or arugula)
1 Small handful Parsley, leaves finally chopped
1 1/2 Pounds small Potatoes medley
Salt & freshly ground Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°. Toss potatoes and 1 tablespoon oil on a large rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast turning once, until browned in spots, 10-15 minutes. (If you choose to add rice as well start it now)
- While the potatoes are roasting in a medium bowl rub chicken with garlic and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken skin side down until golden brown and crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- Arrange chicken skin side up on baking sheet among potatoes. Roast until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Using a large wooden spoon, lightly smash potatoes. Scatter kimchi over potatoes and chicken; roast until kimchi is warm, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk reserved kimchi liquid, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl. Toss greens with half of dressing in medium sized bowl.
- Serve salad divided among plates with roasted chicken, kimchi and smashed potatoes. Drizzle remaining dressing over plates.